JUNE, JULY & AUGUST 2020 EVENTS
TEMPLE MEMBERSHIP RENEWAL
It’s time to renew your temple membership. We have added Zenshuji 100th Anniversary donation section to the form. Please use the form on the right and mail it to the temple with a check. Thank you very much for your continuous support!
ZENSHUJI OBON THIS YEAR
- Services on July 11th & 12th, Celebration on Aug 16th
Obon Committee has been meeting by ZOOM and discussing following for this year’s special Obon:
Lantern Hanging, Cleaning of Hondo and Garden: Sunday June 28th at 9:00 a.m.
- Yes, we will have this, people wearing masks and keeping their distances.
Obon Services / Manto Kuyo: Saturday and Sunday July 11th and 12th 11:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. both days
- If you would like to attend, please make a reservation since space is limited with physical distancing. We can only seat 30-40 people per service at the main hall.
- We will also Live Stream the Obon services online.
- Please wear a face covering.
- We will have sanitizer, masks and screens.
Obon Celebration Fundraiser:
Sunday August 16th 11:00 a.m. to possibly 3:00 p.m.
- Combination with Jizo-Bon ceremony as well.
- We will sell food from Little Tokyo restaurants
(people will preorder) to help community.
- Live Stream Obon Celebration online
- Looking for pre-recorded talent performances
- We will make and sell food from Zenshuji if guidelines will
- We will have seating in Zenshuji parking lot if guidelines will
- We will have live talent, if guidelines will allow it.
- Event subject to change, please check back this web page
People over 65 years old or with health conditions are
encouraged to stay home and join in online. Please
contact the temple if you have any questions. We look
forward to your participation in any way.
PLACES OF WORSHIP CAN SLOWLY REOPEN
Zenshuji is looking at the guidelines set by the State of California and City of Los Angeles. The rules are very explicit and leaves items for more thoughts to be considered. The Ministers are working very hard to ensure that when we do open that all our members will be safe and secure.
REMEMBER: We are still working on the following with Obon Service as our TENTATIVE date. Once the Ministers are satisfied that our members who attend will be safe and healthy they will notify the members what steps to take. The Ministers are working on the following issues:
• Participants are limited to 25% of the capacity.
• No children activities.
• No potluck or food cooked.
• Keeping 6’ social physical distancing.
• Wear face covering at all times (especially in the city and county of Los Angeles.
Things that may Restart With Restrictions:
• Funeral (with restrictions)
• Memorial Services (with restrictions)
• Monthly Services (with restrictions)
• Board Meetings (with restrictions)
• Committee Meetings (with restrictions)
• Tuesday Volunteers (with restrictions)
Things that will be Necessary:
• Written signs posted
• 6’ Social Distancing on pews and floor
• Hand Sanitizers at various locations
• Temperature screening
• Educating the staff and volunteers
• Identifying contact information and number for Local Health Department
The Ministers are using a 13 page bulletin as their guidance entitled: ‘Covid 19 Industry Guidance’, May 25, 2020, ‘Places of Worship and Providers of Religious Services and Cultural Ceremonies’. This guideline is limiting only 25% occupancy in the Hondo, Zendo, Meeting Room, Social Hall, Nikko Bldg., and Tea Room according to the capacity of the room.
ZOOM is a new way of communicating from individual homes but still be part of a group. Right now Zen Aerobics are exercising together with Uekuma Sensei and Amy Honjiyo, Saturday Terakkoya, and Dr. Kato’s Lecture Class are enjoying each other’s company while safe at home. To participate, contact the leaders for each group or call Zenshuji for more information.
REMEMBER: EVEN IF THINGS ARE STARTING TO REOPEN, THE CORONAVIRUS IS STILL AROUND. BE SAFE, BE HEALTHY, AND BE SHELTERED. WEAR YOUR MASK AT ALL TIMES!
Carolyn Abe Hashiba