We have finally set up online donation. Please check the DONATION page using the
fourth navigation tab on the left. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com
ZENSHUJI OBON THIS YEAR
- Services on July 11th & 12th, Celebration on Aug 16th
Obon Committee has been meeting by ZOOM and discussing following for this year’s
Lantern Hanging, Cleaning of Hondo and Garden: Sunday June 28th at 9:00 a.m.
- Yes, we will have this, people wearing masks and keeping their distances.
Obon Services / Manto Kuyo: Saturday and Sunday July 11th and 12th 11:00 a.m.
and 2:00 p.m. both days
- If you would like to attend, please make a reservation since space is limited with
physical distancing. We can only seat 30-40 people per service at the main hall.
- We will also Live Stream all of the Obon services online by Facebook Live
- Please wear a face covering.
- We will have sanitizer, masks and screens.
Obon Celebration Fundraiser:
Sunday August 16th 11:00 a.m. to possibly 3:00 p.m.
- Combination with Jizo-Bon ceremony as well.
- We will sell food from Little Tokyo restaurants
(people will preorder) to help community.
- Live Stream Obon Celebration online
- Looking for pre-recorded talent performances
- We will make and sell food from Zenshuji if guidelines will
- We will have seating in Zenshuji parking lot if guidelines will
- We will have live talent, if guidelines will allow it.
- Event subject to change, please check back this web page
People over 65 years old or with health conditions are
encouraged to stay home and join in online. Please
contact the temple if you have any questions. We look
forward to your participation in any way.
PLACES OF WORSHIP CAN SLOWLY REOPEN
Zenshuji is looking at the guidelines set by the State of California and City of
Los Angeles. The rules are very explicit and leaves items for more thoughts to
be considered. The Ministers are working very hard to ensure that when we do open
that all our members will be safe and secure.
REMEMBER: We are still working on the following with Obon Service as our TENTATIVE
date. Once the Ministers are satisfied that our members who attend will be safe
and healthy they will notify the members what steps to take. The Ministers are working
on the following issues:
• Participants are limited to 25% of the capacity.
• No children activities.
• No potluck or food cooked.
• Keeping 6’ social physical distancing.
• Wear face covering at all times (especially in the city and county of Los Angeles.
Things that may Restart With Restrictions:
• Funeral (with restrictions)
• Memorial Services (with restrictions)
• Monthly Services (with restrictions)
• Board Meetings (with restrictions)
• Committee Meetings (with restrictions)
• Tuesday Volunteers (with restrictions)
Things that will be Necessary:
• Written signs posted
• 6’ Social Distancing on pews and floor
• Hand Sanitizers at various locations
• Temperature screening
• Educating the staff and volunteers
• Identifying contact information and number for Local Health Department
The Ministers are using a 13 page bulletin as their guidance entitled: ‘Covid 19
Industry Guidance’, May 25, 2020, ‘Places of Worship and Providers of Religious Services
and Cultural Ceremonies’. This guideline is limiting only 25% occupancy in the Hondo,
Zendo, Meeting Room, Social Hall, Nikko Bldg., and Tea Room according to the capacity
of the room.
ZOOM is a new way of communicating from individual homes but still be part of a group.
Right now Zen Aerobics is exercising together with Uekuma Sensei and Amy Honjiyo,
Saturday Terakkoya is enjoying each other’s company while safe at home. To participate,
contact the leaders for each group or call Zenshuji for more information.
REMEMBER: EVEN IF THINGS ARE STARTING TO REOPEN, THE CORONAVIRUS IS STILL AROUND.
BE SAFE, BE HEALTHY, AND BE SHELTERED. WEAR YOUR MASK AT ALL TIMES!
Carolyn Abe Hashiba
JUNE MONTHLY SERVICE VIDEO
We videotaped our June monthly service, Dharma Talks by Rev. Toho in English and
by Rev. Kojima in Japanese. Click on the image here to watch. You can search for
“Zenshuji videos” on YouTube to get to it also.